to the KISHINTAIKAN DOJO,
a Traditional Martial Arts and Healing Arts Academy
and an affiliate of
The Kishintaikan Dojo (pronounced “key-shin-tie-khan doe-joe”) is the oldest continuously operating martial arts academy in Bangor, Maine. Established in 1983 by Kancho Sensei Stephen A. Boardway, head of Kishintaikan International, it is located in the heart of downtown Bangor. A variety of different arts and types of classes are offered here, but the primary ones are Okinawan Karate-do Goju-Ryu (Hard-Soft Style) Kishintaikan-ha, and Kobudo. Through the classical tenets of this ancient art, students learn the principles of true self-defense and how they apply, as well as how they enrich everyday, modern life. More than just learning how to throw a punch or break a board, a student of Goju-Ryu Karate at the Kishintaikan Dojo learns the congruence of self-defense and personal development. Discipline, self respect, physical health and fitness, and developing a greater awareness of the world around you are all aspects that are explored through the physical practice of Karate itself.
While there are many aspects to Karate, new students will initially focus on the core curriculum. These include Undo (exercises), Waza (techniques), Kata (forms), and Kumite (“testing-hands” or sparring). Later, the more experienced student will explore a more complex curriculum that includes Tuite (turning/twisting hand – a stand-up form of grappling), and Tegumi (hand-exchange – another form of grappling dealing with ballistic attacks and some ground-work). More advanced students begin to incorporate Kyusho-jitsu/Tuina (pressure point techniques) and Kiko (energy-work). At the appropriate point in their development, students are invited to explore traditional Kobudo (weapons-art) as well.
At The Kishintaikan Dojo we also offer:
- Morning and Evening Adult Classes
- Kids’ Classes, including our pre-Karate classes for 3 & 4 yr. olds, our preparatory classes for 5 & 6 yr. olds, and training classes for 7 & 8 yr. olds, as well as for 9 thru 12/13 yr olds. At 13 years old, young people may enter the adult classes if their behavior is mature enough; at 14 years old, they must enter or begin in the adult classes. When enrollment numbers warrant it, we have a special class for teens only, as an adjunct to the adult classes.
- “Martial Fitness” classes – Weight training with traditional implements and dumbbells, exploring diet and lifestyle, and much, much more
- Kiko – The beginnings of meditation, soft-side exercises, and energy work
- Capoeira – The Afro-Brazilian martial art that combines elements of martial arts, music and dance
- Traditional Yoga/Yogic arts
The KISHINTAIKAN DOJO is an affiliate of Kishintaikan International and is located at
88 Central Street, Bangor, Maine 04401.